Wednesday, August 3


I just read an awesome children's book while I was at work in the library: "Sylvester and the Magic Pebble," by William Steig.

First of all, "Sylvester and the Magic Pebble" is a story about a donkey family and their little son donkey Sylvester. How cool is that? Not the normal choice for a main character. Anywho, Sylvester finds a magic pebble that makes his wishes come true, but then he makes a foolish wish - I'm not telling you anymore about what happens! It's a book written at the reading level of a first-grader -- it's too short to tell you anymore, other than the story made me want to cry but ended happily.

Seriously, I want to buy this story for all the little children I know who are getting to the age (3 - ??) where they wish for stupid things to happen like "I wish you would go away," I wish you/I would die," "I wish you were not my mommy/daddy," etc. I want let them know that things could be so much worse, that they are really, REALLY lucky to not get what they wish for sometimes, and that they are more comfortable and better off than they realize.

Go find this book. It's short. It'll take you five minutes to read. Then think about it yourself.

I'm gonna go home and hug my lovie now.

1 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, Blogger Dave King said...

Amen!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home