Tuesday, July 26

lI have my first practice blisters from trying to play violin, so I'm two fingers short while typing. But I'm proud of myself. "Amazing Grace" still sounds like a cat sliding down a chalkboard set right next to my left eardrum, but at least the tune is distinguishable.


I've had three lessons so far, and I only got the violin during Cornerstone. That is a story in of itself!

I never thought that I'd actually get a violin, at least not for a few more years. I've wanted one for years, and every year before going to Cornerstone Festival (Bushnell, IL) I would dream about getting a violin there and learning how to play. This year was the first time I even told my husband about the dreams. I now have a violin, thanks to a generous man and a miracle from God.

l On the last night of Cornerstone, Scott and I were walking around the merch tents looking on as the last of the booths shut down. We were in the biggest merch tent, and most of the people were gone already. Scott kept walking, but I stopped by one of the booths - the one where musical instruments were sold. (I had been by earlier in the fest and had looked at the violins hanging on the wall, but had told the guy that I hoped he saw better customers than me - ones who could actually buy something.) I asked the man running the booth "Did you sell all the violins?" I no longer saw them hanging on the wall.
He said that they were all still there and asked me if I wanted to look at one.
"No, I can't afford one right now."
"Well, what can you afford?" he asked.
"All I have is plastic - that I can't spend," I repled. By this time Scott has come back, and we precede to talk to the man for a while. He pries a bit, asking questions about where we are from, what we do, etc. We are honest with him - why not? It's not like he'll remember us later, and we aren't necessarily embarrassed that we're broke.

Here is the amazing part. This man offered to make me a deal. He said, "You find me three ciggarettes, preferably non-menthal, and I'll give you a violin."
My response: "ARE YOU SHITTING ME?"
He just laughed as we asked him about three times if he was sure about doing this, and he said "Yes. Now GET MOVING!"

So we raced down the merch tent asking EVERYONE we saw if they smoked and if they had any ciggarettes. We had no luck until the last group of guys at the end of the tent. Scott asked them and one man said that he'd give us four for a buck. I had no money on me, but Scott had exactly $1.oo. We got the smokes and raced back to the music man.

I asked him again if he was sure that he wanted to do this deal, and he said he was, so I handed him the ciggarettes. He immediately put one in his mouth, then leaned over, picked through the music cases on the floor and handed me this one - a new violin, bow, rosin, and case.

He said, "There's one catch: you have to play it. If you don't, you have to give it back to me next year."
"There is no way in hell I'm not playing this!" I replied.

I was in shock. I hugged him and then hugged the violin all the way back to our campsight - Scott ended up guiding me back so that I wouldn't stumble since I was crying. I was, and am so happy!

l So, now I have a violin, and I'm trying my best to learn it. Tigger tends to bury his head under the couch cushions when I'm playing, but at least he doesn't howl!

He'll have to get used to it. :)

2 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger Dave King said...

That's a fantastic story.

- Peace
Dave

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Donnav said...

Wow...That's awesome!! So are you still practicing? I haven't made it to C-stone in a few years ....since I moved from Ar,Hot Springs....what part of the state are you in?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home